21 Oct National Apple Day!
Today is National Apple Day! This day was originally celebrated in the United Kingdom in 1990. It is a day to celebrate apples, orchards, and all things related.
Here are some fun facts from FirstFruits Farms:
- Our apples are handpicked by over 1,700 employees.
- Our main orchard is located in Prescott, WA and is one of the largest continuous orchards in the United States.
- After our fruit is picked, it is transported to our 1.1 million square feet warehouse and packing facilities.
- Throughout the year, our fruit is stored in 11 million square feet of cold storage!
- Approximately 28,000 apples can be packed per day by our three packing lines.
Apple Facts from the Washington Apple Commission:
- There are approx. 2,500 varieties of apples grown in the United States.
- Each year, 10-12 billion apples are harvested in Washington State.
- The crab apple is the only native apple to North America
- “If you put all Washington State apples picked in a year side by side, they would circle the earth 29 times.”