- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cherries (fresh or frozen)*
Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
To the melted butter, add the brown sugar and stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips, fruit (I don’t halve the cherries: I like them chunky and big), and pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula or offset knife if necessary.
Bake for 27 to 32 minutes, or until edges begin to slightly pull away from sides of pan and center is set.
Allow bars to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.