- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 284 grams (10 ounces) (2 cups) unbleached all purpose flour
- 124 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pounds firm, ripe pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 125 grams (1 cup) walnuts, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil 14 cavities of a muffin pan with spray oil.
Mix the topping by stirring together the sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and the vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Fold in the pears and chopped walnuts.
Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, until level with the rim of the muffin tin. Sprinkle with the topping.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and serve. Cool the remaining muffins on a wire rack.