- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- ½ cup frozen butter grated
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 pear peeled and grated
- ½ cup buttermilk plus 1 tablespoon
Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a scone pan with non stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and 1/3 cup sugar. Stir to combine.
Add butter to the bowl.
Using a pastry butter, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is well coated with the flour.
Add fresh ginger, crystallized ginger and pear.
Add buttermilk and mix until just combined.
Transfer dough to 6 cavities of the scone pan.
Brush the top of the scones with the remaining tablespoon of buttermilk. Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of sugar on top.
Bake for 40 minutes until golden and crusty.